How to Store a Rug.
Rug Love: The Ultimate Guide to Properly Storing Your Rug
There's a lot to love about rugs – the way they tie a room together, their intricate designs, and the softness they add to our spaces. Just like any treasured possession, rugs require proper care. Whether you’re storing your rug for a short period or a longer duration, it’s crucial to ensure it remains in good shape. In this guide, we’ll outline the best practices for rug storage and ensure that your rug remains beautiful for years to come.
1. Clean Before Storing
Before storing your rug, it's essential to give it a thorough cleaning. This will prevent any dirt, grime, or pests from causing damage while it’s stored away.
- Vacuum: Vacuum both sides of the rug to remove any dust or loose particles.
- Spot Clean: Address any stains or spills immediately.
- Professional Cleaning: If the rug hasn’t been cleaned in a while, consider a professional deep cleaning.
2. Roll, Don’t Fold
To prevent any creases or cracks in the fibres, always roll your rug for storage:
- Start at the end of the rug, and roll it tightly but not too tight.
- Roll with the pile facing inward to protect the rug’s fibres.
- Secure the rug with twine or a similar material, ensuring it stays rolled during storage.
3. Wrap It Up
Once your rug is rolled, protect it from dust, dirt, and pests:
- Use a breathable fabric, like cotton sheets or tyvek rug storage bags.
- Avoid plastic bags as they can trap moisture and lead to mould growth.
4. Choose the Right Storage Space
- Climate-Controlled: Rugs are sensitive to temperature and humidity. Ideally, store them in a climate-controlled environment.
- Elevate: Keep rugs off the direct floor by placing them on shelving or pallets.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight: UV rays can fade and damage rug colours.
- Pest-Free: Ensure the storage area is free from pests that can damage rugs, like moths or carpet beetles.
5. Regularly Check on Your Rug
Even in storage, your rug needs some attention:
- Unroll and inspect it periodically.
- Ensure there's no sign of pests or moisture.
Q: How do you store a rug long term?
A: For long-term storage, clean the rug thoroughly, roll it with the pile facing inwards, wrap it in breathable material, and store in a climate-controlled, elevated, and pest-free environment.
Q: Can you fold a rug for storage?
A: It's advisable to roll, not fold, a rug to prevent creases and cracks in the fibres.
Q: How do you prevent rugs from getting mouldy in storage?
A: Use breathable wrapping materials, avoid plastic bags, and store in a climate-controlled space to prevent moisture build-up and mould growth.
In conclusion, with a bit of love and care, your rug can maintain its beauty even while stored away. Follow the above steps to ensure your rug remains a beloved piece in your collection for years to come. Happy storing! 🌟🔐🔮